Monday, June 25, 2012

Salsa Party, Less Ambitious Version

While we were dallying about the West Coast, our salsa garden was growing away and filling out. Not being a prolific gardener myself (I liken myself to the shoemaker's daughter who had no shoes), I forget how quickly it happens. So we have:

April:

 May:

 June:


We decided that in lieu of trying to put together our own Salsa Party, when we weren't at all sure about our crop, we would join in this celebration with our friends at Elote and Sustainable Tulsa.

So this week, the beautiful crop you see pictured on the Market House counter will become Southwood Grown Salsa, an official entry in SalsaFest 2012. Emmie Sherry and Anna Morgan will be helping us create our masterpiece. And unless plans change, we will also be donating some of our Habañero and Jalapeño peppers to the Pepper Eating contest.

We tried out some of the tomatoes this weekend at the lake, over hamburgers, in salads and in guacamole (we are very thorough researchers). They were phenomenal. I'm not normally a tomato eater but after this weekend I'm going to rephrase - I'm not a grocery store tomato eater. These are nothing like those - meaty and flavorful. I can't wait to taste the salsa.

Speaking of which ... we would love to have you come by and visit us on Friday at SalsaFest 2012! It's Friday evening (June 29) downtown on the Centennial Green at 6th and Boston near Elote. It will be hot - we're expecting 105 and downtown Tulsa is not known for its cool breezes anyway. But I think (hope) someone said there were misters happening, and there will be great food and drinks. Participants get a bag of tortilla chips and 2 oz. of each salsa.

Plus, who doesn't love a good chihuahua costume contest? See you there!

1 comment:

  1. I wish you lots of fun at the SalsaFest. I am sure, it`ll be a great success for you. I am sorry, that I can`t come and see it by myself. But one day.....
    Steffi

    ReplyDelete