Monday, May 28, 2012

Inspiration Across the Nation

This summer, I am undertaking the administrative task of getting inspired. 

Some people find their inspiration with a paintbrush or in a yoga pose. I find it in writing. Whether on a keyboard or with pen and paper, my best thinking happens as I write. I journal and list and jot and scrawl my way through life, because if I didn't I would have no clue what was happening next. And it is my job, both as a Mom and professionally, to always know what's happening next.

I have spent the last 10 years working as my Dad's administrative assistant, helping him craft his communications. He provides the voice; I provide the words; and together, we say what Southwood needs to say. It's actually been quite the bonding experience for us, most of the time.

With the farm & market, I'm finding my own voice, and am ready to start determining the right words. Hence this summer's project: the Farm & Market Idea Books. We're essentially going to compile the pictures, information and notes that we've amassed over several years of inspiration-gathering. My goal is to present a coherent collection of information that we can flip through, mark up and discuss as we launch into the major step of designing the farm & market facilities this fall.

And of course, we'll continue to seek inspiration this summer, starting with a family vacation to Los Angeles and Disneyland!

Not everything that works in California would work in Oklahoma, of course. But the west coast is so far ahead of us on some of the concepts I'm trying to tap into, I think it'll be beneficial. Plus, I get to take my kids to Disneyland! And Disney has practically trademarked inspiration, so really, I owe it to my work to go there.

This will most likely be my last blog post before I head west. Planning and executing a vacation for a family of four can be an adventure in itself, especially when flights and car rentals and 3-day park hopper passes are involved. Next time you hear from me, I will be several pairs of Mickey ears and  many exciting ideas richer.

1 comment:

  1. And across the nation we traveled to garner inspiration for our original retail store (with a few theme parks mixed in)! It's a tradition that I love seeing continued with the next generation, as long as I can tag along occasionally.

    ReplyDelete