Saturday, February 4, 2012

Local Farm & Market

So now that the key people in this project are ID'd, a little information on the project itself.

As I said, my family runs a garden center in Tulsa, Southwood Landscape & Nursery. This project will be an extension of that business, but with a different demographic target and product/service mix, and of course a differnt location, about 2 miles away or less as the crow flies, but in fact across a river and in a different city, namely Jenks, Oklahoma.

In a nutshell, Southwood is dedicated primarily to ornamental gardening and decor, including full landscape design and installation, and targets 35-65-year-old women, particularly the Baby Boomers. It is a genuinely delightful place to be, and has for 30 years been instrumental in making Tulsa houses prettier, enhancing curb appeal and property values throughout Northeast Oklahoma. Our customers, Tulsa's gardening community, are incredible people and we love giving them a place where they can become more creative and nurturing and adventurous in their gardens.

Local Farm & Market will focus more on Gen-X and Gen-Y shoppers, especially young families and singles looking to "green up" their lifestyles and focus more on health and natural living. If you have an idea for what types of products and services that includes, feel free to comment! I don't want this project to develop in a vacuum - I'm looking for the community that needs us, the niche that we can best fill. Southwood has blossomed (the puns come naturally - my mother is famous for them and I spend a lot of time with her) over the years, and I hope Local F/M will do the same.

Of course, Southwood is and will always be a huge priority throughout this expansion. It will require risk - any big project does - but we are dedicated to protecting the integrity and quality of Southwood. The customers and employees deserve nothing less.

That said, I think this project has huge potential, and I am very excited about it. It will actually take place at two locations - the Farm and the Market are about a quarter-mile apart - and will include a few different components. I will describe those components separately, with the caveat that they are all subject to change.

The Farm - roughly located between the Arkansas River and Elm St. in Jenks, this is 80 acres of Oklahoma agriculture land. Eventually, we would like it to be fully open to the public, a hub of agritourism and education that fosters the discovery of farming and connection to the land. But in order to demonstrate a working farm, we will have to undertake the challenge of building a working farm. Starting from scratch as we are offers the opportunity to build a 21st century model, using modern techniques that enhance efficiency and sustainability. As we build, throughout the process, we will teach. We are already establishing partnerships with Oklahoma State University's Department of Agriculture and Natural Sciences, and Jenks High School's FFA program (Future Farmers of America).

The Market - This past year we acquired a property at 1st and Apache (a street which has recently officially been changed to Aquarium Pl.) one block south of Main Street in Jenks, a tight-knit community south of Tulsa that boasts an exceptional school systetem. In this space we will build (hopefully early 2013) a retail Market facility. The exact product mix is by no means fully defined, but I envision a combination of fresh local produce and products, the tools and supplies someone would need for backyard urban agriculture projects, and delicious local foods ready to eat on our patio and outdoor dining/entertainment area.

Education Center - When we bought the 1st and Aquarium Pl/Apache property, there was a house that used to belong to Ms. Linda George, who taught 3rd Grade in Jenks for 45 years. The house was built in 1920 by her father, William George, who was the first mayor of Jenks and proprietor of a general store at 1st and Main. Anyway, we took that house, left the outside the same but renovated the inside to accommodate offices, classrooms and a really awesome demonstration kitchen, where we can teach all kinds of classes about healthy living and cooking.

Outside the house, we're building a huge deck where people can eat, hang out, and hear a band or speaker. I have not completely talked my dad into the ginormous playscape I want, too, but I will. As a young mom, I love places where I can go (Central Market in Texas is my favorite) where my kids can play, and I can watch them while I enjoy a meal or drink and the pleasant company of my husband and/or friends, all in the great outdoors.

Cafe - This will be the final phase at the Market location. For the beginning, we will have to outsource the food preparation, because while the kitchen in the house is awesome, it is not commercial.

So, that's the project ... As I said, please feel free to offer suggestions, criticisms, or whatever you feel like saying.

2 comments:

  1. I'd be happy to pass around a petition to win your dad over on the playscape, and I'd like to suggest "How to make your own baby food" demo, using food from the farm of course :) I've been making food for Ryan and I am now wishing I would have made Beckett's food too. I think you guys are on to something brilliant!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was hoping you would come and teach for us! And we WILL get the playscape.Thanks for being my first commenter!!!

    ReplyDelete